- Overall Length (Bug):2.875"Overall Length (HoneyBee):3.625"Overall Length (Grasshopper):5.031"
- Blade Length (Bug):1.313"Blade Length (HoneyBee):1.625"Blade Length (Grasshopper):2.313"
- Cutting Edge (Bug):1.125"Cutting Edge (HoneyBee):1.375"Cutting Edge (Grasshopper):2.00"
- Blade Thickness (Bug):0.06"Blade Thickness (HoneyBee):0.08"Blade Thickness (Grasshopper):0.08"
- Blade Material (Bug):3Cr13MoVBlade Material (HoneyBee):3Cr13MoVBlade Material (Grasshopper):8Cr13MoV
- Handle Material:Stainless Steel
- Handle Length (Bug):1.625"Handle Length (HoneyBee):2.00"Handle Length (Grasshopper):2.75"
- Weight (Bug):0.40 oz.Weight (HoneyBee):0.56 oz.Weight (Grasshopper):1.40 oz.
- Blade Style:Clip Point
- Edge Type:Plain
- Knife Type:Manual
- Model (Bug):BugModel (HoneyBee):HoneyBeeModel (Grasshopper):Grasshopper
- Country of Origin:China
- Best Use:Everyday Carry
- Product Type:Knife
DescriptionThis item has been discontinued by its manufacturer.
Non-locking folding knives aren’t a new concept. They’ve been around for centuries without much change but continue selling among a sea of modern locking knives. The reason? While many knife buyers appreciate the traditional aspects of a non-locker, more want this type of knife because they live or work where laws prohibit carrying and using a locking pocket knife. Spyderco perceived a gap between traditional slip joints and modern locking folders and created a product line called SLIP JOINTS. Slip joints offer reliable and sophisticated non-locking folders that open with one hand, have a finger choil for comfort and safety and are conveniently accessible.
As the overall SLIP JOINTS line expands, a subcategory of micro-sized SLIP JOINTS with stainless steel handles is populating within and Spyderco calls them "Bugs". The first Bug was matter-of-factly named, The Bug. Its non-locking blade is just barely over an inch long. Next up, a two-inch blade called the HoneyBee followed by the release of a larger one yet, the GrassHopper. Affable Bugs draw comments like “how cute” - a beneficial perception in a knife-cautious world but their size trumps the reality that they’re serious business when it comes to cutting.
All of the handles are chamfered so there are no squared-off edges digging or biting into a gripping hand. The handles are stainless steel with a laser engraved Spyderco bug and enough blank area for a small amount of engraving or customization as jewelry or a gift item. Handle lanyard-hole for a chain for wear around a neck or a keychain.
Aerodynamically the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly but someone forgot to tell the bee that. It defies both nature and expectations that something that small performs such a grand maneuver. Like bumblebees, Spyderco Bugs perform unexpectedly. The smallest folder in the trio.
Information from Spyderco